A scale model of the aerobatic Swift S-1.
Designed by Edward Marganski the Swift S-1 saw its maiden flight in 1993. Designed as a competition aerobatics glider, the Swift has become reputed as one of the best aerobatic gliders ever designed.
Top Models pays homage to the Swift with the 3.14m Swift S-1. A purely aerobatic model that can also fly in relatively light lift conditions, making it an excellent choice for the pilot who wants to get into large scale soaring. It has a broad speed range and good inherent stability. The wings are equipped with air-brakes, ailerons and flaps giving the pilot the necessary control to land in diverse situations as well as having camber, reflex and crow at their fingertips during flight.
Construction of the Swift is traditional and strong. The wings are carbon reinforced, obechi sheeted and foam cored and also sport a unique locking latch which eases wing installation and disassembly. Both the wing and the fuselage have pre installed wiring harnesses terminated in 15 pin D-sub plugs, this saves both building time and set-up / take down time in the field. The fiberglass fuselage is smooth and shiny and feels sturdy in the hand. Pull a small silver ball, located at the trailing edge of the left wing root and the canopy opens revealing a detailed interior, replete with a scale seat and instrument panel. The Swift comes with a retractable landing wheel. The tailwheel, rudder and tow release are also pre-installed, reducing the assembly time of this model down to installation of the servos and receiver!
So there you have it. A beautifully finished, very capable glider for a reasonable amount of money.
Click this Link to see some detailed drawings of the plane.
- Detailed Fuselage: with fiberglass seat, instrument panel.
- Wing / Fuse electrical plugs and servo extensions pre-installed.
- Rudder is pre-hinged and installed as is the landing gear, tail wheel and tow hook.
- All the wing control surfaces are pre-installed; ailerons, flaps, and airbrakes.
- Graphics are pre-applied.
- White gelcoat, fiberglass fuselage, equipped with retractable landing gear, tail wheel and tow hook pre-installed. Fiberglass seat, instrument panel.
- Transparent PVC canopy with pre-installed latch.
- Wing construction: foam cores reinforced with fiberglass and carbon and skinned in obeche and then skillfully covered in Oracover®. Aileron and flap surfaces are pre-installed as well as the Schempp-Hirth style, metallic airbrakes.
- Wing joiner: Wrapped carbon tube .
- Horizontal stabilizer molded fiberglass, pre-hinged.
- High quality hardware
- Detailed assembly drawings.
- Wingspan................ 3.14 meter / 10.3 feet
- Length...................... 1.740 meter / 5.7 feet
- Wing Area................ 77dm² / 1,194 in²
- Flying Weight........... 5.7-6.5 kg / 12.5 - 14.3 lbs.
- Wing Loading........... 77 - 87 g/dm² / 24.5 - 27.9oz/ft²
- Airfoil........................ HQ 1.5-12
- ailerons and flaps (4 micro servos)
- elevator (1 micro servo)
- rudder (1 standard servo)
- airbrakes (2 micro servos)
- retract gear (1 servo STD)
- tow hook (1 servo STD)
* See assembly drawings for recommended servos